The baby swing. It’s one of the oldest, most reliable ways to soothe an unhappy, crying baby. Parents have been using baby swings for decades to soothe their little ones, specifically when they’re having trouble sleeping and nothing else seems to help.
Essentially, baby swings have become the go to of baby gear options for moms and dads. This is why it’s a definite purchase you need to make before you bring your newborn home.
Baby Swings Features and Benefits
You might be thinking, well, why have baby swings become the go to baby gear option for parents? Why are they the end all, be all? Well, it relates to the way one is designed and the features that it has, which results in many, many benefits that your baby, and you, can take advantage of.
The basic design of a baby swing consists of a seat like area where you can place your child that is attached to an apparatus, as the name implies, that allows him or her to swing back and forth. The seat itself may or may not be padded, but will always come with some sort of harness to make sure your little one doesn’t accidentally fall. It will look very, very similar to what you would see at an actual playground, just scaled down so it can be easily placed within your home.
When it comes to features, a baby swing has a lot of them. Here is a list of some of the features that a baby swing can have:
- A seat that sits straight up, or reclines, that may or may not be covered in soft, plush padding.
- If the seat is covered with soft, plush padding, that padding will generally be removable and machine washable.
- Some have removable head, neck, and body padding.
- An adjustable safety harness. Some are made from nylon, others are made from softer fabrics like felt, and then there are those that are made from nylon, but are covered in a soft fabric.
- Swinging motions that can include front-to-back, which is just like how a swing goes at a playground, or side-to-side that replicates a parent holding their baby and swaying them back and forth.
- Different swinging speeds. For example, some swings have three speeds such as low, medium, and high while others have six variable speeds.
- Automatic timers that turn off the swing after a set number of minutes.
- Some swings come equipped with music players that play a variety of songs from lullabies to upbeat tunes and more! And, there are those that sound effects while others have lights.
- There are those that have overhead mobiles with fun hanging toys.
- A few options are foldable and collapsible.
Since a baby swing has so many features, obviously it has a lot of benefits.
- As already pointed out, the main benefit of a baby swing is how it calms your child when he or she is upset with its swinging motion.
- Provides you with another sleeping option for your little tyke if he or she is having issues sleeping in a crib or bassinet.
- Gives you a place to put your baby for a bit if you need free hands to do chores around the house.
- You can use it as a place to feed your little one if he or she is older and can hold a bottle. Plus, you can also use it in a pinch to feed your kid solid foods when he or she is even older.
- Keeps your child content, happy, and occupied.
- Will provide stimulation for your child and help with his or her development, especially if you purchase one with a mobile that has hanging toys along with a music player.
Popular Baby Swing Brands
Just like with other items available for purchase, there are brands of baby items that are much more popular than some of their counterparts. After seeing what brands are available and learning about how people feel about them, the ones we discovered to be the most popular consist of (in no weighted order):
- Bright Stars – Has turned into a popular brand because products made by Bright Stars are reasonably priced, but still well made. The only drawback to items made by Bright Stars is that they’re just not as eye-catching and stylish as those as the other brands.
- Tiny Love – Out of all of the baby gear companies on the market, this is one of the newest ones to hit the scene. Despite being new, people are buying what Tiny Love makes due to the fact that the gear is nice to look at, dependable, and well-priced.
- Graco – A brand that is trusted among parents and caregivers, Graco is known for producing quality products that last. Plus, most of the baby gear made by the company has an appealing look and comes in different color schemes and styles, making it easy to find the right selection to match any decor.
- Comfort & Harmony – Is a brand that is kind of middle of the when it comes to all the other brands that are out there. Items from Comfort & Harmony aren’t too expensive, but not necessarily cheap, aren’t the best looking options out there, yet they’re very functional, and they’re also very durable.
- Fischer-Price – When people think of baby equipment brands, Fischer-Price is usually the first one that comes to mind. The reason? It’s been around the longest and has a rich tradition in creating top-of-the line baby items. People trust this brand and can rely on it.
The 5 Bestselling Baby Swings
There are some baby swings that have become the favorites among customers, something that was realized after doing research on them through various retail websites. The top five (listed in no particular order) we came across consisted of:
- Graco Swing By Me Portable 2-1 Swing – This swing has received high reviews because of its flexibility. When your child is little, it can be used as a baby swing and then when your child gets older, it can be converted to a swing that is full size. It has a seat that reclines in three different positions, various swinging speeds, and it folds to a compact size for convenient storage.
- Fisher-Price Snugabunny Cradle ‘N Swing – The Cadillac of baby swings, this selection pretty much has it all. For one, it comes with Fischer-Price Smart Swing Technology that offers two swinging motions, six variable speeds, a music player with 16 songs, nature sounds, and other lovely sound effects. If that wasn’t enough, it looks great with its neutral tones and has a cover that is machine washable.
- Bright Stars Portable Swing – This is one of the most reasonably priced baby swings on the market. It also sits the lowest to the floor and has a reclining seat with two positions, a motor that’s quiet, and a toy bar wrapped in plush padding that can even be removed. With its seat pad that’s washable and removable and lovely decorative options, such as flowers, you would be hard pressed to find a baby swing option better for the money.
- Comfort & Harmony Portable Swing – A selection that sits lower to the ground, it has a deluxe seat with a head support that may be removed, six swinging speeds, and it also comes with soothing melodies. A foam bar with two attached toys offers you baby plenty of fun stimulation, making this swing a decent buy.
- Graco DuetConnect LX Swing & Bouncers – With this one, you get two baby gear options in one. It’s a swing, bouncer combo. So, if you’re baby doesn’t seem to be settling down with the swing feature you can switch over so he or she can bounce. Other features include a roomy, reclining seat, a total of six variable swings, and it also plays music and sounds.
What to do to pick the Right Baby Swing
When you’re looking for a baby swing to buy, there some questions you need to ask yourself before you get one to ensure you get the right one. Here are some of those to consider:
- How much do you plan on using it? If you’re planning on using the baby swing quite a bit, then you’re going to want to get one that’s been known to be durable and long-lasting. To figure this out, simply go to Amazon and read reviews to see which ones have done well and which ones haven’t.
- How much space you have to put it? If you don’t have a lot of space to put a baby swing, then you’re going to want to get a smaller one. Make sure to check out the dimensions of the one that you get to make sure it fits.
- What’s your budget? Have a number in mind that you’re willing to pay, or can afford to pay, going into your baby swing shopping trip. That way, you won’t waste your time on swings you can’t afford.
Ultimately, baby swings are a must buy before you bring your new little bundle of joy home because of how helpful they can be when trying to soothe your child. Don’t believe it, well, the proof is in the pudding with this one since they’ve become a go-to baby gear options of parents for decades. Some even have two, three swings in their homes given that they are so helpful. So, if you want to make things easier on yourself as a parent with your newborn, don’t delay and purchase one now. You’ll be super glad that you did when your baby is snug as a bug, sleeping soundly in that swing you got him or her.